Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Whorion Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording of the new album?

After we got album recorded and mixed we head back to rehearsal lair to train new set and getting ready for the As Divine Crumbles Tour 2015. Thou we already practiced a lot for the recordings, executing songs nice and tight it needs lots of playing together, especially for me since I have more vocal parts than before.


2.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?

I continued story where we left on Atlas -EP. This time story/theme carries from the beginning to the end and stays solid. Lyrics are meant for the listener to explore make the discovery themselves. There are lots of personal ideology from my perspective but mind is meant for explore and discover.


3.The band has been around since 2008 but waited until 2014 to release any music, can you tell us a little bit more about the first 6 years?

True, first Whorion songs that I made goes back to 2008-2009 (Vortex and Suicide). My problem was my own skills. I was not happy about my executions even thou I heard it in my mind how it should be. I left W-project aside and continued to train my own skills. I had two other bands that time, which other one was touring actively, so lots of stuff going on and lack of skills pushed W-project to distant future. It was only at 2013 I was happy enough to start everything. And finding band around the visions was one hard task.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Whorion'?

That’s the most common question I have had and unfortunately, meaning behind it will be revealed in self titled album, Whorion. Which I can tell that it is not the next one, yet.


5.Originally the band started out as a solo project, what was the decision behind hiring a full time line up?

It was a solo project since I’ve been playing other peoples songs so long and never had a chance to make music with my own terms. I consider myself lucky to find guys around that trust my vision 100%. Without them I could not have succeed bringing Whorion to daylight and more important, tour.


6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Shows that stained my mind forever are Hitchins club 85 in UK and Nummirock Metal Festival in Finland. Absolutely amazing.


7.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?

We did one tour already 3 days after album was released, in central Europe. Right now we are looking new opportunities to get back on the road.


8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of death metal?

I have to say I’m really surprised how good the feedback has been. Of course I stand behind our music but it still stunned me how good it has been. Much gratitude for everyone for that. Though few people have asked ‘Why orchestras?’.


9.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?

Well our drummer Heikki is sometimes a bit busy with Finntroll along the summer and Antti is making new album with his other band Damnation Plan. Rest of the members are just doing W.


10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

I see us doing our stuff as it is and growing our style, more intense but also majestic. Technicality I can’t let ever go since that’s the main reason that keeps me interested. Challenging myself along unforgiving output. If you like what we have done so far, more is coming. Of course you need to find new ways approach your own music but changing style or leaving components away, not gonna happen.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Influences to mention are Decapitated, Nile, Dying Fetus, Obscura and Origin for example. Can say that I’m only guy who keeps listening them till today but not all hope is gone. Bass player Dorian is a mess, from Katy Perry to In Flames. Don’t wanna go further on this.


12.What are some of your non musical interests?

Astronomy and Mythology.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Expand your mind and discover the secrets it holds in the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment