Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Soulstorm Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
We have just officially released the new CD “Fall Of The Rebel Angels” and have also re-issued our first CD “Darkness Visible + Control”. This is the first time the Control demo from 1991 has been on CD. We’ve gotten many requests over the years to release the Control demo so we thought it was perfect timing to release it. The new line-up of Bryan Mallon (Guitar), Shawn Stoneman (Guitar) and Chris Mezzabotta (Drums) is probably the best line up I’ve ever had to execute the original Darkness Visible material. Right now we are currently planning some shows in Montreal, Toronto, the Niagara Region as well as Buffalo. We’re really out for blood this time and I have the guys to back it up! We all love what we’re doing and planning on picking up some new fans along the way. With the release of “Fall Of The Rebel Angels”, it’s given us a chance to not only explore elements from the first CD but add to the fury.
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from previous releases?
Every release is different with one to the next; this new CD would be on par with the first CD and fit almost seamlessly. We’ve kept the raw and dark sound that we began the band with and explore some new areas at the same time. I think we have really transferred the sound of emptiness and bleak landscapes on most of these new songs into solid soundscapes that fit each theme hauntingly well. 
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release?
When I write lyrics, I tend to use a graphic vocabulary that tends to paint a picture for each individual that listens to it. Making the lyrics vague and cryptive adds to the brutal sound of Soulstorm, letting the listener take an experience from our music that is solely their own.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
I think the meaning of the band name is pretty self-revealing. It’s an ominous phrase that is what it sounds like, and I think a lot of people can relate to that.
5. The band was broken up for several years, what was the cause of the split up and what made you reform after all of these years?
I reformed the band so I can keep creating music that I like and that I think is heavy and crushing. I’ve always been planning this CD for the past 12 years but it finally came together for me when I was completely ready to let it embrace me once again and to continue to create dark and bleak imagery. 
6. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
Opening for Grave and Massacre in 1992 at Lee's Palace, opening for Entombed in 1993 at the Opera House and our last show opening for Hanzel und Gretyl, which we played on Sept. 6th, 2012 at the Hard Luck Bar all here in Toronto. The new band is crushing live and you can really feel the fire and the blood that goes into this beast. These guys are metal veterans and know how to put on a great live show. 
7. Do you have any touring plans for the new release?
Oh yeah, we plan on doing a lot shows now that we have this line-up. We’re ready to go on tour, we’re ready to play shows, we’re ready for war! We are in the planning stages of doing some out of town shows. 
8. Have you received any label interest since the reunion?
Honestly, I’ve been so busy putting “Fall Of The Rebel Angels” together that I haven’t even had time to solicit any CD labels. I suppose we will begin to send out some promo copies to labels and get at the very least a distribution deal for the two newly released CDs. I don’t see that any negative response from labels would deter us from our journey onward. We’ve done everything ourselves this far, with very little outside help until now with FullBlast!PR. 
9. On a worldwide level how has your newer material been received by fans of extreme metal?
So far, we’ve had a lot of positive reaction in Sweden and Holland and various other places in Europe. The results are just now starting to come in; I’ve read some great reviews! 
10. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
I’m always writing or being inspired by music. Soulstorm is full time but I also do an alternative darkwave band that sounds like a cross between Joy Division and early Killing Joke mixed with the Cure and Nine Inch Nails, it’s called AntiTrust Divison. I used to do beats and trippy songs under another name but I’ve changed it to Apnoea, this will be a drone project with some dark big beat songs thrown in.
11. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I think we’ve found the direction we will be headed into on “Fall Of The Rebel Angels”. It covers a lot of ground and I think it fits in nicely with the material on “Darkness Visible”. 
12. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Mostly stuff like Celtic Frost, Triptykon, Sacrifice, Torture Division, some early Godflesh and Swans. We listen to a lot of various bands from multiple genres but our sound is rooted in the death metal industrial hybrid terror unit. 
13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
It’s all music, this is what I do, I still buy CDs. I’m constantly writing in my head. If I’m not writing, I’m recording. We already have a few new ideas for the next release. We’ve been rehearsing a lot lately, getting ready for some shows. I also Paint now, this is something that started about 6 years ago. I have gotten into bigger canvases now, like 2’x3’ size canvases. I just finished this big piece for my living room that incorporates vinyl LPs and 7” vinyl in the design; it’s 8 feet long and 3 feet high, broken up into 4 panels. 
14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?  
Thanks for taking the time to talk to me about Soulstorm.
Thanks to Chris from FullBlast!PR for hooking this up.
Go To WWW.SOULSTORM.CA

No comments:

Post a Comment