Monday, February 2, 2015

Godless Angel Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording of the new album?

There wasn't a large amount of time between finishing "Harvester of Shadows" and announcing it's release. I've been pretty busy coordinating the information that's going out on Facebook, Twitter, the various streaming sites like Bandcamp and Soundcloud, and the official Godless Angel website. Reviews of the new album are starting to come in as well as interview requests. It's a very exciting time for Godless Angel!

2.You have a new album coming out in February, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

"Harvester of Shadows" is the merger of different styles that I explored during the first two years of Godless Angel. "Year One", which was released in 2013, was heavily rooted in groove and death metal. "Dying Dead Undead Unholy", released in 2014, was pure thrash. The new album takes all those styles and blends them together into what I think is the definitive, signature sound of Godless Angel.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your newer music?

All of the Godless Angel lyrics are "horror fiction". For "Harvester of Shadows" and "Dying Dead Undead Unholy" I had a lyrical collaborator, my wife, Chrissy. We both love horror and science fiction and we approach all of my songs as though they were short stories. "Containment Breach in Sector 6" is about aliens being held captive in a government laboratory until they break free and launch a global assault. "Suffering the Wrath of the Goddess" is about a person who begins to hear the thoughts of the plants around him and he realizes they want to murder him. "Samhain" is about serial killer stalking children on Halloween.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Godless Angel'?

The name came from a brainstorming session between my wife and I. We were just writing down different words and putting them together. My wife loved the name Godless Angel because she thought it described my personality well. I'm quite fond of the name, it just feels right.

5.With the musical project you record everything myself, are you open to working with any other musicians in the future?

It would totally depend on the nature of the collaboration. I'm extremely happy with the freedom and flexibility of working as a solo artist after having spent a couple decades working with other musicians in conventional bands. But if the opportunity presented itself to work with an artist I admire, that would be very cool!

6.So far there has been an album released every year, do you put a great amount of time and effort into your music?

I do dedicate a lot of time and effort to my music, which isn't always easy since I work full time. Some days I'm just too exhausted to give my music the attention and focus it deserves. I do most of my writing and recording on weekends, that way I'm rested and can devote several hours to it. And some things take longer than others. Guitar and bass tracks go very quickly, drum tracks take a very long time to complete. It takes me a long time to complete a set of lyrics, but recording vocals is a pretty fast process.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of death and thrash metal?

The feedback has been awesome! I've received a lot of compliments on everything from the stylistic balance of the album to the quality of the production. And all the extra work I put into my vocals and guitar leads has definitely paid off. I knew these songs were special when I was recording them, and having a stranger a world away tell you that your music "rips" is an amazing feeling.

8.Where do you see the project heading into musically during the future?

The first two years of Godless Angel were all preparation for this album. I had a vision of what I ultimately wanted this band to sound like and "Harvester of Shadows" is exactly that. Moving forward I have hundreds of ideas for different kinds of song arrangements, intros and outros, bridges, guitar leads and lyrical concepts. But the overall style and sound that you hear on "Harvester of Shadows" isn't going to change. This is what I've always wanted Godless Angel to sound like and I'm sticking with it.

9.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Some of my biggest influences are Slayer, Six Feet Under, Obituary and Cannibal Corpse. I love 80s and 90s death metal and thrash metal. Lately I've been listening to a lot of brutal death metal like Veiyadra, Ingested and Disfigurement of Flesh.

10.Does Occultism play any role in your music?

Many of the lyrics on "Harvester of Shadow" touch on things like demonic possession and supernatural forces. If you can imagine it in a horror movie or short story, it will probably end up in a Godless Angel song sooner or later.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

I love horror and science fiction movies, of course! I read comic books, mostly DC. And I love video games like Outlast and Silent Hill. I'm also an artist, I drew the album covers for "Harvester of Shadows" and "Dying Dead Undead Unholy".

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you for letting me talk to you about Godless Angel, I really appreciate it! "Harvester of Shadows" comes out February 27th on Inverse Records and is available for pre-order now on Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment