Thursday, October 13, 2011

Kittie interview

1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

We've been hard at work during 2011.  We wrote and recorded a brand new album, and we just finished up a 6 week tour of the US in support of our latest release I've Failed You.  The new album was really well received and the shows were really fun and successful.

2. how would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it
differs from previous releases?

I've Failed You is a heavy, intense, brooding roller coaster.  It builds on the foundation and the strength of our previous release "In the Black" but manages to take everything we established with that album a few steps further.  Sonically it is much more dynamic, and shows the maturity and the evolution of the band.  The songs are well written heavy, but have layers and depth.  The sounds are clean and clear, while still retaining a huge devastating production.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores
with the new album?

Lyrically this album is certainly me at my most vulnerable and most honest.  I went through one of the most difficult years of my life, and the themes are a direct reflection of the things that I went through.  I needed to be totally honest and open with myself, in order to go on this internal journey, and heal, so I really took a good hard look at myself and resolved to just write exactly what I was feeling.  no hiding behind veiled, ambiguous words.  Just honesty.  And it wasn't easy, but I feel like the process really made for a great album, and allowed me to heal.

4. Out of all of the shows that the band has played so far which one did
you enjoy the most?

We have played with a ton of bands over the years, and had the privilege and honor to share stages with some of the biggest and the best, but for me, the Ozzfest and touring with Pantera for 2 months will go down in history as one of the coolest, wildest, most fun experiences of my life.

5. What are the touring plans for the new album?

As stated earlier, we just completes a 6 week run in the US in support of the latest effort, but we will be continuing to to tour into next year, with possible Australia, and European tours looming, as well as another US run.

6. On a worldwide level how has your new album been received by older
and newer fans?

As far as I know "I've Failed You" has been really well received.  The reviews have all come back positive, but the thing that matters most to us is what our fans think.  I've seen and heard nothing but amazing things from people all around the world, so no complaints as far as I'm concerned.

7. What direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?

I think our music will continue to get faster, heavier and much more complex,  It'll be dynamic and brutal, yet melodic and sad.  I think we've set the groundwork for whats to come with the last two releases, so we'll be building on that.

8. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced the new
album and also what are you listening to nowadays?

All 4 of the girls really enjoy a vast array of different styles and bands.  Tara is huge into blues, jazz and the like, but also listens to metal.  I listen to a ton of different stuff, from metal to indie rock, Ivy is pretty straight ahead metal, while Mercedes doesn't even listen to it anymore, so we draw from a variety of sources.

9. Outside of music, what are some of your interests?

Outside of music, I love to cook, I love reading.  I'm a big fan of yoga and running, so I do that often.  I like to travel and I still enjoy movie and going to shows.

10. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Thanks so much to anyone who has supported us over the years, and continues to do so.  Our new album, I'VE FAILED YOU is in stores and online now.  Check out kittierocks.com for all the latest news!

No comments:

Post a Comment