Monday, July 24, 2017

Obrij Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
V.: ОБРІЙ (Obrij) was formed back in 2013 in Uzhhorod, Ukraine. The members of the band also play in other bands like THE SYMBIOZ, DISPLEASE, SKRUTA, OMNIVERSE, SOLUREST. Since then we had a few line-up changes, current line-up was formed in spring of 2018. Current line-up is: Mykola - vocals, Vasyl - guitars (that's me, ha-ha), Ivan - guitars, Zoltan - bass and Petro - drums. Only Mykola and me are left from the first OBRIJ line-up.

2.So far you have released an ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
V.: I would describe this as a mix of a numerous influences: a bit of hardcore, a bit of metalcore (as it was back in the 90s, not the modern shittycore) and a large dose of European death metal. I think that our style can be described as "groovy death'n'roll".

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
V.: We sing about different topics. Themes can be taken from our personal experience or from history. We have one song about Pol Pot regime and our new release will be about the horrors of Stalinism. These lyrics will have a slight dystopian feeling (cheers to Mr.Orwell).

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Obrij'?
V.: As I mentioned before, the word OBRIJ means "horizon". It's about the new horizons, we have to discover in our life. As me and Mykola (our singer) had previously played only hardcore punk and grindcore, we are discovering metal  Well, if serious, I am a huge fan of metal music and I always wanted to play some. So, it looks like now I have the opportunity.


5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
V.: We haven't played a lot of shows with OBRIJ, so all of them were unique. As for me, I would mention our performance at Uzhhorod's KRUK Fest. It was our first show after the line-up change. I would like to describe our performances as "heavy as hell" but I'm not sure if I can do so  We don't play fast, so at least we're trying to create a heavy and hypnotizing atmosphere at out shows.


6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
V.: It would be great, but now we would like to record some new stuff. It's our priority now. Shows? Maybe later.


7.Can you tell us a little bit more about 'Trismus Records'?
V.: It's mostly hardcore punk/grindcore/metal label formed by Mykola and me. We have a few wuite interesting releases, you chould check out.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of death metal?
V.: We received various opinions about our music. Most of them are good, I mean it seems that people like our stuff. But we also had a few negative reviews. Well, for some guys we were not enough "metal". But I hope that they will enjoy our next release. It will have a bit heavier sound.

9.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?
V.: Now we have only one active project besides OBRIJ. It's THE SYMBIOZ. We play hardcore punk with strong metal influence. It can remind you bands like WOLFBRIGADE, TRAGEDY, ICTUS e.t.c. Our other project - SKRUTA is currently inactive. We used to play some fast and brutal oldschool grindcore influenced by INSECT WARFARE, WORMROT, NAPALM DEATH and TERRORIZER.
Also you should check the new album of our lead guitarist's band SOULREST. It's called IN SPITE. They play progressive death metal and if you like bands like PESTILENCE, you should check them. Few songs are available on their bandcamp. Also you should check their first album PATALOGICAL PROCESSES. As for me, it's a masterpiece.
Our drummer also plays not only in OBRIJ. If you like some experimental/progressive metal, check out OMNIVERSE. Petro playes guitar in that band.

10.When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
V.: It's a tough question. As for now we plan to record a single and an EP. We had some changes in our line-up, so the style will change a bit. I think we'll move towards more dark and heavy sound and more complicated song structures.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
V.: We were influenced by European death metal acts like BOLT THROWER, ASPHIX, MORGOTH, BENEDICTION and doom metal bands like PARADISE LOST, early TIAMAT e.t.c. Also, don't underestimate the influence of crust bands like AXEGRINDER, AMEBIX, MISERY, EXTINCTION OF MANKIND and others. Nowadays I listen to different bands, mostly to those that I have mentioned in this interview. Also I like grindcore and Swedish punk rock. Well, I love Swedish bands in general. No matter what style they play, they do it in their own unique way.


12.What are some of your non musical interests?
V.: My main non-musical hobby is horror. I'm a fan of horror literature and horror movies, I even write some creepy stories myself. Some of them were included in Ukrainian horror anthologies. My favourite authors are Richard Laymon, Csáth Géza, Jack Ketchum, Bentley Little, Clive Barker, Robert Bloch and many others.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
V.: I would like to thank you and to all the readers of your zine for the interest in our band! Stay metal! Cheers from Ukraine!


No comments:

Post a Comment